Friday, November 20, 2015

Introducing oneself

I suck (BIG TIME) at introducing myself! Be it a small group or a large one, one person or 10,000 - I can't seem to introduce myself. I have a monotone, which goes something like "Hi I am .... I work for .... I am ..."

Now, does this reflect the boring person that I am? Is it complete lack of confidence? Why don't I ever learn or prepare on how I want to introduce myself?

During my initial acting classes, I had people compliment me for my voice - I was always told that I have a very sweet yet demanding voice (huh! I said to myself!). As I worked on introductions there, I seemed to pick characters that I could be and introduced myself. Every time, the tone, the voice projection, the type of introduction was different! Then, why is it that when I am myself that I suck at introductions?

One of my acting teachers gave us the example of a professor who was a complete introvert but an excellent public speaker. When questioned on how he did this, he said "Well... just before I go on stage, I tell myself that I am Bill Cosby or Marlon Brando or...."

If that worked for the professor, maybe during the next round of introductions, I should pick being one of the characters, like Marlene - the career woman from Top Girls, and introduce myself... The audience wouldn't know its not me because it is me... just taking the "Marlene" avatar right!

And follow:
Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment